Based on 13 years of recording by three members of the Society, this is the first published book on the mosses and liverworts of Carmarthenshire. Over 600 species, sub-species and varieties of mosses, liverworts and hornworts have been recorded from the county in habitats ranging from coastal dunes to montane crags. The distribution of each species is described, with distribution maps presented for those occurring in five or more tetrads. Accompanying notes include information on habitat, ecology, fertility and significance in a local, Welsh or British context. The Flora is 240 pages long and is illustrated with 32 photographs of key local bryophyte sites and some of our most distinctive species.
Introductory chapters cover:
- the physical background of Carmarthenshire, including its geology, soils and climate
- broad bryophyte habitats in the county and the common species they support
- the history of bryophyte recording in the county from the early 20 th century explorations of H.H. Knight to the intensive tetrad recording of recent years
- a comparison between the Carmarthenshire bryophyte flora as represented by the BBS bryophyte Atlas and by the current Flora
- comparison with the bryophyte floras of the adjacent vice-counties of Pembrokeshire, Cardiganshire, Breconshire and Glamorgan
- examination of the biogeographical elements represented in the bryophyte flora
- details of the key sites for bryophytes in the county and the representation of notable bryophyte species on Sites of Special Scientific Interest
- an account of the changing bryophyte flora of the county, with reference both to declining species and increasing species
This book should be of interest to bryologists, local naturalists and those involved in Biodiversity reporting at a local and national level. It is the most detailed bryophyte Flora to be produced to date for a south Wales county and should be a useful reference for anyone undertaking bryological surveys or environmental assessments in the region.
Available from Sam Bosanquet, Dingestow Court, Monmouth, Monmouthshire NP25 4DY
Usual price £20.00 (+ £4.64 p&p); special reduced price for BBS members £15.00 (+ £4.64 p&p)
ISBN 0-9552022-0-5 / 978-0-9552022-0-9